At Nazareth, we recognize the wealth of experience and wisdom possessed by our senior adult members. That’s why we offer opportunities for senior adults to use their skills, insights, and talents in service to others. Through these activities and many more, mature adults at Nazareth live out their desire to serve Christ by serving others.
- Read More
Our Nazareth members 55+ can be found
- Leading Bible studies
- Serving on Church Council and leadership teams
- Visiting homebound members
- Landscaping church grounds
- Serving funeral luncheons and Lenten soup suppers
- Knitting prayer shawls
- Staffing the Nazareth library
- Building Habitat for Humanity houses
Bible Studies for Adults 55+
- MidKids - Sundays at 8:30 a.m. in Room 156
- Prime Time - Sundays at 9:50 a.m. in Room 151
- SEARCH - Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. in Room 160
- Senior Adult Women’s Bible Study
- 1st & 3rd Mondays of the month; 9:00 a.m. in Room 158
- Men’s Breakfast & Bible Study - Wednesdays at 6:30 a.m.
- College Square Hy-Vee
Shepherd’s Staff - This visitation ministry calls on homebound members and those who have suffered an illness or bereavement.
Home Communion - This visitation ministry provides Communion for homebound members.
Thursday Fellowship is a luncheon served every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. in Fellowship Hall. All members and their friends who are 55+ years are invited to attend. For the low cost of $5, you will enjoy a delicious meal in the company of friends. Please call the church office at 319-266-7589 for this week's menu and to RSVP.
Nazareth offers opportunities for women to gain a deeper understanding of who Christ is, what He has done for us, and how He can inspire us to serve others, support each other, and share Christ with everyone. Click HERE for the current Women’s Ministry brochure. For further information about the history of Nazareth’s Women of the ELCA, click HERE.
- Read More
Women of the ELCA is the churchwide organization for all women who are members of Nazareth. The three main areas of focus are:
1) Discipleship – Monthly Bible study, which is taken from the GATHER magazine.
Five Circles meet monthly on a Wednesday or Thursday to study God’s Word. (Please
see additional details about the schedule for Bible Study Groups below.)
Fall 2018: Repentance by Meghan Johnston Aelabouni
September: Session one – Time after time: Turning to God
October: Session two – If I could turn back time: Turning to others
November: Session three – Turning points: Turning as the church to the world
December 2018: Annual Advent/Christmas devotional
Winter 2019: The Gospel of John: Meetings with Jesus by Julie A. Kanarr
January Session one: Come and see: Seeking and finding faith
February: Session two: By night and day: Coming to faith in Jesus
March: Session three: Friends for life in Christ
April: Session four: Seeing the risen Christ
2) Justice – Each month a specific topic (such as human trafficking, spiritual hospitality, needs of the deaf community, advocacy, gender equality, assisting veterans) is discussed to bring awareness to the group;
3) Stewardship – An active Kits & Quilts group meets three times a month to create quilts, gather supplies and pack school bags, baby care kits, personal care kits and fabric kits for distribution through Lutheran World Relief. Kits and Quilts meets in the Underground on
the first Monday (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 pm.) and the third Monday (9:00 a.m. to noon) and next day, Tuesday (from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.). Women, men, and children (age 10 or older with adult supervision) are welcome to help for the entire day or part of the day. A Prayer Shawl Ministry meets the second Thursday of the month at 11:00 a.m. in the Larsen Chapel to knit and crochet shawls and mantles for people in need of prayer and comfort.
For questions or further information, please contact Donna Kirschenmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love Gifts Support Kits & Quilts
Love Gifts offer Nazareth members and friends the opportunity to support Kits & Quilts and Lutheran World Relief. Working together, these two groups provide basic necessities to people in need throughout the world. Love Gifts will help fund the purchase of materials for health kits, school kits, sewing kits, and baby care kits and will help pay LWR shipping costs.
Love Gifts can be purchased in increments of $5. When you purchase a Love Gift, you will receive a gift card that can be given to your loved one. The card explains the purpose of the Love Gift and lets the recipient know that the gift given in their name will touch the life of someone in need. You can purchase Love Gifts from Membership Secretary Lori Fegley in the church office. To learn more about Love Gifts, click HERE.
Other Bible Study Groups
- A Senior Adult Women’s Bible study meets on the first and third Mondays of the month from 9:00-10:30 a.m. in Room 158.
- A Bible Study meets at 10:30 a.m. in Room 156 on the first and third Thursdays of every month.
- MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meets the second and fourth Thursdays of the month during the school year at 9:00 a.m. in Room 155. Meetings feature speakers, devotions, craft projects, and refreshments. Expectant mothers welcome.
- See the Discipleship U Brochure for additional Bible Study opportunities, some specifically for women.
The Caring Heart Quilters meet every Tuesday from 9:00 a.m.-Noon
in Rooms 221-223 to make quilts for Lutheran Bible Camp auctions.
The Sunshine Group helps with funeral luncheons.
The Bremwood Auxiliary meets at the Hansen Spiritual Life Center
in Waverly four times a year.
NewAldaya Lifescapes (formerly The Cedar Falls Lutheran Home)
continues to need cookies for special events. Volunteers are also
needed for a variety of activities.
Join with men of Nazareth as they grow together in God’s amazing love and grace. We offer several ways to get involved with other guys and provide a chance to have fellowship with fellow men of God.
- Read More
Every Wednesday at 6:30 a.m. in Cedar Falls Hy-Vee upstairs meeting room. Enjoy coffee and a roll, and don't forget to bring your Bible. Our Bible study is informal, and your insights and questions are welcomed.
Pastor Brian leads a Promise Keepers Bible study from 12:00 -1:00 on Wednesdays in Room 160 at Nazareth. Bring your Bible and your lunch.
Every Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m. in Room 158.
Every Saturday morning at 7:45 a.m. in Room 156.
The Willing Workers team serves by assisting with repair, maintenance and building tasks around church and beyond. Contact Pastor Denny Hanson at email@example.com with questions.